At Their Core, Cardinals Hopeful Of Future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Their Core, Cardinals Hopeful Of Future

David Johnson smiled and paused, considering life with the Cardinals in the not-so-distant future when the roster will change and stars like Larry Fitzgerald and Carson Palmer are no longer around.
    ” the star running back said. “I really do think more about Carson and Larry and getting the ring for them and other veterans,“I never even think about not having Carson and Larry on the team, so that question doesn’t really even dawn on me.”
    That guys like Palmer and Fitzgerald will eventually leave – and that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll happen after this season – is inevitable. But the Cardinals have done some work to build a talented core when that does happen,Authentic Kenny Clark Jersey, keeping General Manager Steve Keim’s overarching goal of “sustained success” realistic.
    “You can’t sit back and say ‘Larry and Carson are going to be finished and the world’s going to come to an end,Authentic Jason Spriggs Jersey,’ ” Keim said.
    On defense,the Cardinals have safety Tyrann Mathieu and cornerback Patrick Peterson in the secondary along with pass rushers Markus Golden and Chandler Jones. There are high expectations that defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche,womens Damarious Randall Jersey, linebacker Haason Reddick and safety Budda Baker will evolve into high-end players.
    Offensively,womens Quinten Rollins Jersey, the Cardinals believe they have a long-term left tackle in D.J. Humphries and an MVP-type running back in Johnson that can be leaned upon.
    “I think we have a good group of (young) guys,Authentic Kyler Fackrell Jersey, a guy like David Johnson as well, guys that can be a cornerstone to a lot of franchises,” Mathieu said. “We are fortunate to have guys like Markus, who is a premier pass rusher, to kind of keep things sane on the offensive side.
    “But we don’t give much thought into it.”
    In a league that feels very much – with significant roster change each year and non-guaranteed contracts – as a year-to-year proposition, that makes sense. womens Jason Spriggs Jersey,But the players that figure to be around for a while have reason to consider later, at least a bit.
    “You work for now,womens Kyler Fackrell Jersey, you’re building for that,but if you see something this team can have in the future,”
    Nkemdiche said. “You have in the back of your mind.”womens Kenny Clark Jersey,
    No talk of the future is valid without quarterback considerations.Authentic Quinten Rollins Jersey, Mathieu’s nod to Johnson’s ability to keep the offense “sane” in that case is only one example, and Keim acknowledges that is a question that must be answered for the Cardinals to truly embrace a successful future.
    There will be contracts to juggle as well. Both Golden and Johnson, Authentic Damarious Randall Jersey, for example, are eligible for extensions after this season before heading into the final year of their rookie contract. Neither price tag will be cheap.